Villa of the Sultan! Among the most luxurious real estate in Italy and the world, Villa Sultana in Ospedaletti stands out as a special chic - a monumental building with three domes, which once housed the first casino in Italy. Today, this prestigious, luxurious luxury villa is considered a historical monument of the country's culture and the main attraction that tourists who want to visit the famous resort town of Ospedaletti are eager to see.
Today it is hard to believe that in the distant 1860 the commune of Ospedaletti was just a village consisting of a handful of houses, but already in 1871 this sleepy fishing village was awakened from a dream. Woke her state railway company Societ? Anonima Ferrovia Alta Italia (SFAI), which, together with the government of the country, launched a grandiose railway construction project. Things moved successfully, and in 1974 the Ospedaletti railway station even acquired its own post office with a telegraph.
The turning point in the history of Ospedaletti was August 30, 1880. It was on this day that the French company Lyonnaise Soci? T? Fonci? Re decided to develop a small railway station and turn it into a real paradise for wealthy tourists. The impetus for this decision was that the leadership of the company - one of the leading real estate companies in France - visited Ospedaletti and was so fascinated by this place that it decided to urgently create here everything necessary for relaxation at any time of the year. The following month, French investors acquired the majority of the land owned by the commune. Following this, the construction of twelve new spacious streets was launched, the total length of which was 9430 meters. In parallel, expensive real estate is being built - elegant and even majestic buildings: Oster, Belvedere, Clotilde, Ducha, La Tour, Christie, Cirio, Rosalia villas. Investors did not forget about luxury hotels to accommodate wealthy guests, erecting the Royal, Riviera, Metropol and Suisse hotels one after another. And finally, in 1883, the Queen Margarita Hotel was built on the first coastline, and on the Corso Regina Margherita Street, the pearl of Ospedeletti is the luxurious Villa Sultana.
French investors also took care of building a road for omnibuses - large carriages drawn by one horse. On this road connecting Ospedaletti with the famous resort town of San Remo, everyone could go, and not just individual representatives of the nobility, which became another of its indisputable advantages. We add that it was in those years, in the years of large-scale construction and bright hopes, that the birth of sectors of the economy began, which to a large extent determined the future of the commune. First of all, we are talking about tourism, which has developed at a rapid pace thanks to fashionable hotels and a wonderful climate. In addition, the inhabitants of the former fishing village began to actively grow flowers (primarily carnations), and the intensive development of floriculture began a few years after the country's first flower market was created on Ospedaletti Station Square.
And what about the villa of the Sultan? This remarkable monument of history and architecture is worth telling in more detail. And the story begins with a description of the building, which when it was an elite entertainment club, like a magnet, attracted rich tourists from all over the world into its halls. Villa "Sultana" is located on a hill in the center of Ospedaletti, at a distance of about 250 meters from the sea. The building is surrounded by a lush park with palm trees and tall trees, spread over a plot of 14,000 square meters, as well as an unusual view of the botanical garden. The construction of the villa began in 1883 and lasted exactly one year. The authorship of this masterpiece belongs to a native of Nice, architect S.M. Biacini (1841-1913), assisted by Lord Jocelyn of Menton and Mr. Bonfante of San Remo. Mr. Morgari, an inspector of the Museum of Fine Arts in Turin, acted as a decorator, while Messrs. Meroni, Fosati, Pavesi and Crespi were responsible for the design of the rest of the villa. Finally, the laurels of the organizer of the work on this project belong to Mr. Marmaglia from Turin. Garnier (1825-1898), the most famous art researcher of the period of the French Renaissance, wrote that the architect Biacini, working on the project of the Villa Sultana, took as a basis the outline of the casino in Monte Carlo, built according to his own project between 1878 and 1979.
One way or another, but compared to other buildings in Liguria, Villa Sultana stands out for its unique architecture. The features of eclecticism of French origin, typical of the French Renaissance, are immediately evident in her appearance. Like other buildings made in this style, all the exquisite luxury of the Sultana villa is directly related to the use of architectural elements of the Italian Renaissance, similar in spirit to the great era of Michelangelo and da Vinci. Let’s take a short mental walk through the Villa Sultana, which will allow us to better visualize the appearance and internal arrangement of this magnificent building. Starting from the Queen Margarita Hotel, we will walk along the park paths and exit directly to the elegant central staircase. Climbing the marble steps, we find ourselves in the atrium - a huge hall, which can rightly be called the heart of the whole building. The extraordinary impression that the atrium of the Sultan Villa leaves is largely due to its grandiose dimensions (hall area is 100 square meters) and an unusual octagonal shape. Another wonder of the atrium was the window, which was located directly in the roof at an altitude of 25 meters from the ground. Sunlight poured freely through this window into the atrium, allowing you to freely enjoy Italy's cloudless sky.
Unfortunately, the roof of the atrium, made in the form of a dome also of an octagonal shape, collapsed in 1989, and today, the former splendor can only be judged by the surviving photographs. From the atrium we can get to several rooms at once. This is a bar measuring 35 square meters, a 60-meter service corridor and two side wings of the villa, each with an area of about 65 square meters. In turn, from each wing opens the way to the gallery with an area of about 180 square meters and a height of 9 meters. Passing to the southern part of the gallery, we will be able to admire the beautiful view of the porch. You can take a walk along the main facade of the building, where the path also passes - it ends near two semicircular terraces located on the sides of the villa. Villa "Sultana" was conceived as a casino, which means that its center was a room for gambling. Later, after some redevelopment, an entertainment club was opened here, in which the guests of the Riviera, the brilliant aristocrats from Western and especially Eastern Europe played and had fun, talked on a variety of topics and spent serene time rubbling money. In addition, social events, conferences, symposiums, various ceremonies and musical evenings were organized here. Entertaining halls, friendly atmosphere, delicious cuisine and magnificent balls, as well as the opportunity to get to know the most sophisticated audience and establish business relations attracted the best guests of the country.
It is not for nothing that the Sultana Villa is associated with the emergence of the concept of transfer, which was organized for even greater comfort for visitors. Immediately after arriving by train to Ospedalleti, noble tourists right at the station were met by carts, and later by cars that brought them to the famous place of fun. Soon, due to the diversity of the rich public who came here, there was even a need for arranging prayer rooms for representatives of various religions and faiths. In the special rooms of the villa, each in its room, is a representative office of the German Evangelical Church, where Pastor Hartmann preached, a representative office of the Anglican Church and two non-Catholic chapels. In 1884, in the year of its opening, Villa Sultana received a license to conduct and organize gambling, issued by the Prefect of San Remo, thus becoming the first casino in Italy.
Such a villa "Sultana" remained until 1905, when the license was transferred to the casino of the city of San Remo, which is valid today. Since then, the elegant villa has played the role of a private wealthy club, still hosting wealthy gentlemen. This continued until August 1914, when the outbreak of world war put an end to the happy time that remained in history under the name of the Beautiful Era. At the beginning of World War II, the Sultana Villa, which had been closed for many years by that time, served as a home for military units until the end of the armed conflict and the victory of the USSR over Germany. Subsequently, the villa underwent a small conversion. Certain changes affected the internal architecture, which allowed the use of this building as a private residence. The villa remained a private residence until the end of the 50s, when it suffered the same sad fate as many other monuments of the cultural heritage of Italy. The magnificent building, once a real Mecca for the color of the European aristocracy, gradually fell into disrepair and has not been restored to this day.
We offer investors, wealthy people who love Italy and its history, to purchase this Lot. Negotiations take place exclusively in private conversation. Projects and all related documents are ready for consideration.